Featured Post

On Black, Fat, Femme Positivity: Why I'm at My Heaviest, My Most Confident, and Don't Need Your Approval to Exist

"If I breathe in public for five seconds, it’s also common that someone will feel the need to tell me, “YASSSSS!” in an attempt to ch...

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Brown Baggin' It (Day 5) - BGSK College Challenge :) **RECIPE: Pear-Gorgonzola Salad

So, today makes me long overdue for a post! Lol :) Long week and crazy night last night! Went to Bible study with some friends then we wen to the gym together and followed the workout with some AWESOME ANGUS BEEF BURGERS *drools* Anywho, I didn't cook the burgers...so no recipe for that. But I can tell you that if you've not eaten guacamole and muenster on a burger........you're missing out on an amazing, life-changing experience! Ha :) Nah, but it was really delicious. 


Anywho...for Friday, I was a bum and really tired so I just ate my "Not-So-Traditional Ragout" for lunch again :) However, I did make a salad for lunch today!! Yayyyy!! Recipe as follows (kinda...) :P






Pear-Gorgonzola Salad w/ Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
(serves about two...give or take I guess)


1 Bosc Pear (or any pear you have)
2 to 3 Cups of your choice of chopped lettuce (I used a plain old iceberg head, but romaine or spinach...or both is preferred)
1 Handful of Gorgonzola cheese (only if you like moldy cheeses, the taste is pungent...you can try feta)
1 Handful of roughly chopped roasted Almonds (maybe pistachios or any nut of your choice...I like almonds)
2 Tbsp or so of Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe follows) 


Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
(makes enough for some more salads)


1/2 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (give or take...idk)
1/4 Cup of Balsamic Vinegar (strawberry's delicious, I just didn't have it on hand...you can add in preserves)
1 Tbsp of Pure Honey
1 Tsp Brown Mustard
1 or 2 Happy Pinches of Salt and Pepper


For the Salad: Okay, we all should know how to assemble/toss a salad. Chop up your greens, Core and Slice up your pears ( I prefer the skins on for fiber!) Either Toss it all together with the cheese and nuts or layer as follows (greens, pears, cheese, nuts, dressing).


For the Dressing: Okay, this is super easy especially if you keep leftover jars around the kitchen like me :) Lol! Okay so take a jar about this size...




And carefully funnel all of your ingredients into it. Cover it with the lid that it came with and be sure it's secure. Hold tight and shake it like a Polaroid picture! HEY YAAA! ...wait ;) You get the idea lol. You could just make an emulsion by whisking in a bowl. But I didn't feel like it...and I needed to wash my mixing bowls from baking Pear and Pecan Muffins the other day (Recipe to come later!!) Anywho...yeah, dressing. The ratio is commonly 3 parts EVOO to 1 part Vinegar...but my olive oil is SUPER strong and I like the sweet and tangy taste of balsamic vinegar. So, adjust the recipe as you like :) Assemble your salad (layer or toss and dress) and ENJOY! :)


And of course, 


Much love and many blessings,


Mirakol <3


No comments: